Wednesday, March 19, 2014

My Treadle Cabinet

We are still working away on expanding my new sewing room and other renovations in our house. I never dreamed it would take this long, but hubby decided to change out our old single pane windows for new dual pane/tinted windows.

So, in the meantime, I have been dreaming and planning for my new sewing room. I dug out my old treadle sewing cabinet. I have had it since I was about 13 years old when I first started sewing. It was in my bedroom closet and I used it to set my sewing machine on to sew. There was never a treadle in it and I have no clue where it came from. My parents have both passed away, so I have no one to ask how I got it. My parents were not into antiques, so I am guessing it came from a family member or someone they knew. I used it to hold my sewing machine up until about 20 years ago, when I decided she needed to be refinished. I started the job, but never completed it. She has been in storage since then. My son is going to refinish for me - Yeah!! He loves to refinish old things. I am excited to have her back in my life and will give her a special place in my new sewing room. Here she is in the back of my car heading to my son's house.


I am doing some research to find out what kind of cabinet she is. She is not a Singer. She has no markings so I have nothing to use for clues. I have been looking on Pinterest and other sites. So far, I think she is a National based on what I have seen on the internet.


There were little treasures left in her drawers from years ago. Little jewelry with my daughters' names inscribed. Old wooden spools of thread and odds and ends of rick rack and notions that I used back in the day. Another trip down memory lane! I can't wait to get her back.


Here are some pics my son sent me after he got her all apart. 
i





And here are a couple of pictures after he started working on the top. I had already stripped the veneer off years ago, so it is down to bare wood that the maker used which was not intended to show. It has worm holes in it. I think that gives it character.




2 comments:

  1. It will be fun to see your treadle table all spiffed up and back together! A few years ago, I purchased just the metal stand part at a garage sale for fifty cents. I never found the wood top to add to it, so it now resides on our patio as a plant stand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am excited to see it coming back to life. I will be posting pics of a couple of old treadle Singers my son just brought me. I am trying to restore one of them right now, but it is badly rusted and frozen up.

      Delete