Thursday, December 26, 2013

Crocheted Christmas Tree

My quilting friendship group was having our annual Christmas get-together and gift exchange. Everyone brings one gift and each draws a number to see the order they get to choose the gift they want. The gift can be stolen three times before it is frozen. I decided to crochet a Christmas tree and decorate it for my gift. I have been making these trees for over 20 years and had not made one for a few years since crocheting hurts my wrists. When finished it was obvious that I had crocheted very loosely (I guess to keep the pressure from my wrists). The tree was double the size it was supposed to be. Oh well, a nice big tree isn't so bad! However my 12" styrofoam cone was way too small. My hubby had to put extensions in it to make it fit. Thank goodness he could retro fit it - I couldn't find a larger cone. They were all picked over since it is so close to Christmas. Here is the finished and decorated tree.

The tree went to a good home. They asked for the pattern, but I had this pattern for over 20 years and didn't have a clue where I originally got it. So, I searched the internet and actually found it at Michaels.com. Here is the link for the crocheted Christmas Tree pattern. Here is a link to the pattern: Crochet Christmas Tree  It calls for two colors of yarn, but I used a varigated green yarn for the whole tree. I think it turned out just as nice, if not nicer, than when I used two colors. And, it was sure much easier and quicker to crochet without having to change colors every few rows.  

No comments:

Post a Comment