Sunday, January 12, 2014

HST Chevron: New project from stash fabric

Before Christmas I made a Chevron Zig Zag quilt using 2 1/2" strips, I decided I wanted to try one using the half square triangle method. Also, I am seriously trying to use fabric from my stash this year. I am so tired of looking at the same fabric wondering if I will ever use it. So far, in 2014, I made a Valentine wall hanging and the Square in a Square twin sized quilt with stash fabric. But, those barely made a dent in my stash! I am still determined to reduce my stash this year! Hard with all those new gorgeous fabrics out there.....

Here is the fabric I choose for the HST Chevron quilt. I had originally purchased the fabric it in 2009 with a particular pattern in mind, so I had odd amounts of each fabric. Now, five years later that pattern is too juvenile for any of my grandkids. I decided to make this Chevron quilt for my 13 year old granddaughter whose favorite color is orange. She is my youngest grandchild. I also found this medium gray Moda in my stash. I will use it between each row of print.



I need this to be twin bed size so I drafted the pattern on graph paper to determine what size squares to cut and how many. I am starting with 6" squares which will finish at 5". The quilt will be 14 rows across and 18 rows down and finish at 70" x 90. I even have enough fabric to make a pillow case. I forgot to take a picture of the binding fabric. It is a stripe with all the colors from these fabrics. I will cut the striped binding fabric on the bias so it has that nice spiral effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment